The Trump Administration announced on September 5 that it will end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), delaying action until March 5, 2018 to allow Congress time to pass legislation. We encourage you to contact your legislators and ask them to pass permanent protection for Dreamers.
What You Need to Know Now
1. The Department of Homeland Security will NOT accept new DACA applications.
2. If you have DACA that expires on or before March 5, 2018, you can apply for a 2 year renewal but your application must be accepted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) October 5, 2017. DHS will review applications on a case-by-case basis.
3. If you have DACA that expires after March 5, 2018, you are not eligible for an extension and your DACA, work authorization and protection from deportation will expire on the date shown.
4. If you have a DACA application pending, and it was accepted by USCIS as of September 5, 2017, your application will continue to be processed.
5. If you have advanced parole travel document application pending, USCIS will no longer process or approve advance parole applications for DACA recipients.
6. The government may end your DACA and work permit at any time if it believes you are no longer eligible or for any other reason.
7. For University of Minnesota DACA recipients and undocumented students, the Immigration Response Team (firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-4224) is available to consult with you, answer questions and help you access resources. It is very important you speak to an immigration lawyer who is trained and understands the complex U.S. immigration system.
DACA Renewal Workshops
Mid Minnesota Legal Aid Immigration Law Project and the Volunteer Lawyers Network are holding DACA renewal workshops staffed by volunteer lawyers and Legal Aid staff attorneys.
Tuesday, September 19 from 12:30-4:30, Minneapolis Adult Basic Education Building, South Campus, 2225 S. Lake Street, Minneapolis
Monday, September 25 from 10-4:00, MCTC Minneapolis Campus, 1501 Hennepin Ave. S., Minneapolis
Wednesday, September 27 from 12:30-4:30, Minneapolis Adult Basic Education Building, South Campus, 2225 S. Lake Street, Minneapolis
Thursdays, September 21, 28 and 30 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Park Avenue Methodist Church, 3400 Park Avenue, Minneapolis.
Sunday, September 24 from 12:45 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., St. Francis of Assisi Church (basement), 1114 Third Street S.E., Rochester. Intercultural Mutual Assistance Association) will provide free passport photos at the church.
In Brooklyn Park
September 20 from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., North Hennepin Community College, Room CBT 169, 7411 85th Avenue N., Brooklyn Park. Call for a DACA Renewal packet and appointment at 952-697-1308.
You may also contact Mid Minnesota Legal Aid's pro bono line at 612-746-3705 or email them at email@example.com. You will be directed to the next available appointment in your local area.
Also see the legal resources listed by campus on our Resource Page.