University of Minnesota-Rochester Resources

Have a resource? Email details to [email protected]. Tell us if the resource is specific to one campus or system-wide. Resources should support immigration needs (legal, counseling or other support services) and be available to students, staff or faculty.

Please Note: International students and scholars should contact the international student office for their campus.

Legal Resources

Expand all

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc.

Eligibility: low-income and senior citizen (people over 60 year old) in southern Minnesota

1-888-575-2954 or (507) 377-7401


  • Free, high-quality legal help to low-income people in critical civil matters.

Intercultural Mutual Assistance Association

Nonprofit working with the Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (see above)

Eligibility: Low-income individuals in need of immigration services, particularly refugees and asylees

  (888) 575-2954 (toll free available M-F 9a-12p and 1p-3:30p
Location: 2500 Valleyhigh Drive NW, Rochester, MN 55901


  • Assists low-income refugees and asylees to navigate permanent residency, citizenship and other immigration procedures.
  • Works in conjunction with the Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services;
  • Interpreting and translation services for immigration and legal documents;
  • Provides services to recently arrived refugee students and parents to improve academic achievement, practice leadership competencies and skills, and enhance emotional and parent/family relationships;
  • Social services to address needs of new Americans of all ages, connecting individuals and families to stable housing, transportation, immigration assistance, human services, community resources, cultural orientation, financial education, training opportunities and employment support.

Legal Assistance of Olmsted County

Nonprofit serving Olmsted, Dodge and Fillmore counties

Eligibility: Free civil legal services to low-income people in Olmsted, Dodge and Fillmore counties; free legal clinics available for advice (but not representation) for all income levels.


Telephone: 507-287-2036
Location: 1700 N. Broadway, Suite 124, Rochester, MN


  • Free legal clinics for residents of Olmsted, Dodge and Fillmore counties. Volunteer attorneys provide free legal advice but do not represent cases

Volunteer Lawyers Network

Eligibility: Serves low-income people in Minnesota. Call the in-take line or complete the online intake form to see if you qualify.

Website and Intake Information

Client In-take Line: 612-752-6677


  • Volunteer lawyers provide legal services in most types of civil issues, such as housing, bankruptcy, family, criminal expungement and debt collection

Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota

Eligibility: Immigrant and refugee families whose household income is 187.5 percent below federal poverty guidelines.

Review ILCM's website for hours and the types of cases served

Telephone: 651-641-1011
Client Line: 1-800-223-1368
Location: 450 North Syndicate Street, Suite 200, St. Paul, MN 55104 Also has legal staff in Worthington, Austin and Moorhead

Advocates for Human Rights

Eligibility: Represents asylum seekers


Telephone: 612-341-3302
Immigrant Client Line: 612-341-9845
Location: 330 Second Avenue South, Suite 800, Minneapolis, MN 55401


  • Partners pro bono attorneys with local immigration law experts to deliver client-centered legal case management for asylum seekers
  • Advocates for U.S. immigration policies that respect human rights and monitors U.S. compliance with international human rights obligations
  • Works to combat anti-immigrant sentiment through public outreach and education

An online resource to help people of low and moderate incomes find free legal aid programs in their communities and answer questions about legal rights and forms. Information is specific to Minnesota and offered in several different languages. Review the section on immigration and immigrants.

Counseling Services

Expand all

UMR Counseling Services

Eligibility: UMN Rochester students who paid the Student Services Fee

Telephone: 507-258-8017
Location: USquare 374 (SESC), Rochester


  • Personal counseling, healthy habits, decision making and relationship counseling.

Learn to Live

Eligibility: Free for all Student Services Fee-paying UMN students on all system campuses.

Web: Visit Learn to Live and enter code “UMN”


  • Free online programs for stress, depression and social anxiety.
  • Resources include individual assessments and self-paged programs.

Employee Assistance Program

Eligibility: All benefits-eligible employees on all system campuses, along with spouse and dependent children.

Telephone: 888-243-5744 or 612-625-2820


  • Can meet with counselor on-campus or off-campus
  • Appointment arranged with the counselor
  • Up to eight counseling sessions at no cost

Immigrants Rising Wellness Support Groups

Please note: These groups are not affiliated with the University of Minnesota.

Immigrants Rising arranges virtual wellness support groups for undocumented young people. Please refer to the Immigrants Rising website for more information.

Other Support Services

Expand all

Scholarships for Undocumented Students

In addition to the UMN's Dream Fund, the following organizations have compiled lists of scholarships for undocumented students.

Please Note: We are providing these links for informational purposes. We do not have any additional information.

Community Health Service, Inc.

Eligibility: Primarily for agricultural workers; Income-based sliding fee scale for charges.

Telephone: 507-529-0503
Location: 1926 Collegeview Rd SE, Rochester, MN 55904


  • Prenatal & Chronic Disease care; case management and voucher referrals; dental, medical, vision care services
  • Bilingual Spanish-speaking staff

MN Department of Human Rights Discrimination Hotline

Eligibility: Anyone who experienced or witnessed discrimination or bias within Minnesota

Phone Number: 1-833-454-0148

More information:

  • Filling out this form does not mean you filed a charge of discrimination. Investigators will review the information submitted to determine if the reported incident is covered under the Minnesota Human Rights Act. 
  • This chart explains what happens after someone reports discrimination or bias.
  • Individuals have up to one year to report the alleged act of discrimination to the Minnesota Department of Human Rights.